I lived in an old Queenslander once where the spark mechanism in the oven was broken. You literally had to lean into the gas oven with an open flame to light it. It was fucking terrifying and I was always sure I was about to die.
I’ve lived in two houses where the spark in the oven was broken! This is one of them! It terrified me for a long time but I am Strong and Brave now and I can light the oven like a pro. With a long lighter. Not so much with a cigarette lighter.
not to mention the container of gas in your hand right next to an open flame. matches?
WHAT are you saying that container could have exploded and deformed my hand? Oh god oh god.
We used to have matches but I only learned how to use them the last time we had a Broken Long Lighter Disaster, and in the process I used them all. If there was a power outage we would be sitting in the dark for sure.
! Also I am terrified of having flame near my fingers, hence being scared of sparklers :(
As usual I am outdone by Liz in the ‘ridiculous phobias’ contest. Sparklers don’t even have flames! They’re just little sparks! Those shocks you get on trampolines and escalators hurt more.